Jackson Reignites The Crowd In Victory Over Cyclones

Jan. 12, 2012

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Looking back on a thrilling 74-67 double-overtime victory for Kansas, it was a night of highs and lows for the Jayhawks and the visiting Iowa State Cyclones. Kansas would hold on to the lead for nearly the entire first half. Leading by a score of 18-15, Kansas then went scoreless in the final 4:41 of the opening frame. The Cyclones took advantage of Kansas’ offensive deficiency going on a 9-0 run to take a 24-18 lead into halftime. Sophomore forward Tania Jackson provided the only scoring off the bench for KU as the team shot 28.6 percent from the field in the first half.

Kansas would continue to struggle after halftime, as the Cyclones grew their lead to as much as 13 points by a score of 44-31 with 9:30 left in regulation. The crowd grew restless as Allen Fieldhouse was seemingly deflated. The Jayhawks needed something positive to happen soon in order to get back in the game.

Jackson would provide the spark. Just as the Cyclone lead reached 13, Jackson responded with a three-pointer that united a weary crowd. Jackson would answer a Cyclone bucket again on the next KU possession with two more points of her own; keeping Kansas within reach, trailing by a score of 46-36. The crowd finally had a reason to get loud and the momentum continued for the Jayhawks. The defensive intensity amplified as well. Shortly after scoring her back-to-back buckets, Jackson came up with a big block setting up a score that got KU within five points of Iowa State with less than six minutes remaining.

Jackson is usually the one to pump up her teammates providing energy off the bench. One of the more enthusiastic Jayhawks, Jackson is consistently supportive and tries to energize the crowd.

“My goal every game is to lose my voice,” said Jackson. “I am trying to complete that goal every time.”

Kansas would go on to score 20 points in the final 9:30 of the second half compared to just seven points produced by the Cyclones. At the end of regulation the score was tied 51-51 and with the moment, KU seemed fearless.

Jackson finished the contest with 11 points, 2 blocks and 1 steal in a season-high 30 minutes of action. Jackson accounted for all of Kansas’ bench points while playing substantial minutes due to Jayhawk foul trouble.

Kansas outscored Iowa State 23-16 in the two overtime periods. Jackson helped set the tone in the second overtime scoring the first points of the final period.

“We just kept fighting and fighting,” said Jackson. “That really shows what kind of team we have.”