Jayhawks Fall to No. 43 Indiana in Season-Opener, 6-1
Jan. 20, 2007
LAWRENCE, Kan. — In its opening match of the 2007 season, the 59th-ranked University of Kansas tennis team fell to No. 43 Indiana, 6-1, Saturday afternoon in Lawrence.
Kansas’ lone point came in the No. 4 singles match, where sophomore Edina Horvath defeated IU’s Brianna Williams, 6-4, 6-3.
The Jayhawks’ duo of Horvath and junior Elizaveta Avdeeva won the No. 1 doubles contest, but KU dropped the other two — including a hard-fought 9-8 loss by Kansas’ No. 3 tandem of sophomores Ksenia Bukina and Yuliana Svistun — surrendering the point to the Hoosiers.
In singles play, Avdeeva and Svistun each fell in three-set matches, and Bukina was forced to retire from her contest due to injury. In other singles action, freshman Kunigunda Dorn lost to IU’s Sigrid Fischer, 7-6, 6-3, in the first dual-match of her KU career, and junior Lauren Hommell was defeated by Indiana’s Cecile Perton, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 5 match.
KU will be in action again on Sunday morning when the squad will take on Tulsa at 10 a.m. and then Drake at 3 p.m. Both contests will be played at First Serve.
1) #86 Alba Berdala (IU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
2) Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), injury default.
3) Sigrid Fischer (IU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 7-6, 6-3
4) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Brianna Williams (IU), 6-4, 6-3
5) Cecile Perton (IU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Lindsey Stuckey (IU) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Berdala/McGaffigan (IU), 8-4
2) Fischer/Perton (IU) def. Hommell/Dorn (KU), 8-2
3) Heller/Williams (IU) def. Bukina/Svistun (KU), 9-8 (4)