Jan. 23, 2012
KANSAS 64, TEXAS A&M 54
Jan. 23, 2012
Kansas Starters (Career/Season): C Jeff Withey (21/20); F Thomas Robinson (23/20); G Tyshawn Taylor (108/19); G Elijah Johnson (28/20); G Travis Releford (24/20).
… Improved KU to 17-3 on the season.
… Made the Jayhawks 7-0 in conference play for the third time in the Bill Self era and the fifth time in the 16-year history of the Big 12 Conference.
… Extended KU’s home-court winning streak to 17 games.
… Gave KU its seventh-straight win against Texas A&M, dating back to Feb. 3, 2007.
… Made the KU-Texas A&M series 18-1 in favor of KU, including 17-1 as Big 12 foes.
… Improved Kansas to 678-107 all-time in Allen Fieldhouse, including 140-7 under Bill Self.
… Moved Bill Self to 254-49 at Kansas, 461-154 overall and 10-3 against Texas A&M in his career, including 10-1 at KU.
… Made KU 2,055-802 all-time.
– Kansas began the contest on an 11-0 run.
– Texas A&M led 30-28 at the half, marking just the fourth time this season KU has trailed at the half and just the second time at home.
– The Jayhawks lost the opening tip for just the fifth time this year.
– KU’s 87.0 percent shooting from the foul line (20-of-23) is the team’s highest percentage of the season.
– The Jayhawks’ 20 successful free throw attempts mark the third time the team has had 20 or more free throws made this season (25 vs. Florida Atlantic and 21 vs. Kentucky).
– The Jayhawks’ 12 blocked shots ties for the second-highest total of the season and marks the fourth time KU has had 10 or more in a game.
– KU’s 20.0 percent shooting from three-point range (4-for-20) is the lowest of the year.
– The Jayhawks outrebounded Texas A&M, 30-27, however the 30 rebounds is the fewest by KU since collecting 28 against the Aggies on March 2 of last season.
– KU has outrebounded all but four opponents this season.
– The Jayhawks improved to 43-15 on ESPN Big Monday since the inception of the Big 12 and 24-8 under Head Coach Bill Self.
– Junior F Thomas Robinson recorded his 14th double-double of the year with 18 points and 10 rebounds. His 14double-doubles leads the Big 12.
– Robinson went 10-for-10 from the free throw line which is the most free throw attempts without a miss since Wayne Simien went 11-for-11 from the line against Colorado on Feb. 12, 2005.
– Robinson had four blocked shots in the game, which matches his career high (also vs. Florida Atlantic earlier this year and vs. Tennessee Tech in 2009-10).
– Junior C Jeff Withey recorded eight blocks in the game, which marks the second-highest total of his career. It was the third time he has had seven blocks or more in a game this season.
– Withey is averaging 3.3 blocks per game, which leads the Big 12.
– Senior G Tyshawn Taylor scored 17 points, his fifth-straight game scoring 15 or more.
– Junior G Travis Releford’s four assists tied a season high. He also had four dimes against Baylor and Florida Atlantic.
– Taylor’s 17 points gives him 1,264 for his career, which moved him into a tie for 30th on the all-time scoring list with Jerod Haase.
– Taylor’s three steals gives him 149 in his career and moves him to 18th on KU’s all-time list, passing Ryan Robertson (143), Sherron Collins (145) and Paul Pierce (147).
– Robinson’s 19th double-double of his career moved him into a tie with former teammate Marcus Morris for eighth on KU’s all-time list.
– Withey’s eight blocked shots gives him 91 in his career and ties him for 19th on KU’s all-time list with Julian Wright.