2008 Kansas Football In Review
Jan. 26, 2009
QUICKLY — Kansas (8-5 overall, 4-4/3rd Big 12 North) capped its 2008 season with a 42-21 victory against Minnesota in the 20th annual Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz. on New Year’s Eve… The Jayhawks recorded a number of accomplishments during the year:
– Four bowl games in a six-year span (2003-present). That represents one-third of KU’s bowl appearances in just six years (eight bowl games in the previous 56 years since KU’s first bowl game in 1948).
– Bowl games in consecutive years (2007 and 2008) for the first time in school history.
– Three consecutive bowl victories for the first time in school history.
– Eight wins in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1908 and 1909.
– Twenty wins in a two-year period, the most in consecutive years in school history (won 18 in 2006-07 and 1904-05).
– Six wins in four straight seasons (2005-08) for the first time since 1903-06.
– Combined 33-17 record in the last four years for the most wins in a four-year period in KU history topping the 32-6 mark from 1896-99.
– Set season home attendance average records in each of the last four years.
– Had top three single-game attendance marks in school history in 2008.
– Returned to the national polls in 2007, the Jayhawks’ first ranking since 1996.
– Were ranked in a school-record 19 consecutive Associated Press polls from 2007 through half of 2008.
– In the last two years, KU has produced its best Big 12 records with a 7-1 mark in 2007 and a 4-4 league record in 2008.
– KU has won 23 of its last 30 games dating back to October of 2006.
2008 Schedule Notable
– KU met five teams ranked at game time during the year, including three which were in the top 10 at game time, posting a 1-4 mark in those contests.
– KU played seven teams which played in bowl games after the 2008 season, including Oklahoma (BCS Championship game), Texas (Fiesta), Texas Tech (Cotton), Missouri (Alamo), Nebraska (Gator), South Florida (magicJack St. Petersburg), and Louisiana Tech (Independence).
– The combined record of KU’s 11 FBS opponents was 87-54 (61.7 percent).
– Seven of KU’s 11 FBS opponents won at least eight games, including four which posted at least 10 victories.
– According to the NCAA website, Kansas faced the nation’s seventh-most difficult schedule based on the opponents’ records.
– Ten players on All-Big 12 teams, including first-team selection S Darrell Stuckey and second-team picks WR Dezmon Briscoe and LB James Holt.
– Twelve Academic All-Big 12 selections, including seven first-team honorees.
– Four players earned All-America recognition, including three freshmen All-Americans.
– Several players were named to national award watch lists and many were named semifinalists or finalists for those awards.