Tennis Sweeps Drake, 7-0
Jan. 28, 2006
TOPEKA, Kan. — The University of Kansas tennis team defeated Drake in impressive fashion on Saturday, Jan. 28, sweeping the Bulldogs, 7-0, at Wood Valley Racquet Club in Topeka, Kan. The Jayhawks won every every singles match in straight sets, and did not allow more than four points in a doubles match en route to improving their record to 2-1 this season.
“Today was a great day for us,” head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “Obviously, any time you win 7-0, there are plenty of things to be happy about.”
“We played well, top to bottom,” Hall-Holt added. “I thought that we were physically and mentally ready for the match, and everyone competed at a high level.”
KU got wins by the doubles tandems of freshman Ksenia Bukina and sophomore Elizaveta Avdeeva, sophomore Lauren Hommell and freshman Edina Horvath, and senior Christine Skoda and freshman Yuliana Svistun. In singles action, Bukina, Avdeeva, Skoda, Hommell, Horvath and Svistun all notched victories. With their wins, Bukina and Avdeeva both improved to 3-0 this spring while occupying the Jayhawk’s top two positions.
Kansas will next be in action on Feb. 4 when they will take on Utah in Salt Lake City.
1) Bukina (KU) def. Kalashnikova (DU), 6-3, 6-2
2) Avdeeva (KU) def. Lesyova (DU), 7-5, 6-2
3) Skoda (KU) def. Rusdianto (DU), 6-3, 6-0
4) Hommell (KU) def. Wilkie (DU), 6-2, 6-3
5) Horvath (KU) def. Sloboth (DU), 6-0, 6-0
6) Svistun (KU) def. Plowman (DU), 6-1, 6-0
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Kalashnikova/Wilkie (DU), 8-0
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Lesyova/Plowman (DU), 8-4
3) Skoda/Svistun (KU) def. Rusdianto/Sloboth (DU), 8-1