Kansas Tennis Defeats Utah, 6-1
Feb. 4, 2006
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The University of Kansas tennis team defeated the University of Utah, 6-1, Saturday in Salt Lake City. The win improved the Jayhawks to 3-1 this year, marking KU’s best start since the 2002-03 season.
In singles play, KU took all but one match from the Utes, getting victories from sophomore Elizaveta Avdeeva, senior Christine Skoda, sophomore Lauren Hommell, and freshmen Edina Horvath and Yuliana Svistun. Kansas’ only singles loss came in the No. 1 match, in which freshman Ksenia Bukina dropped her first match of the season to Elizabeth Ferris.
In double play, KU’s tandems of Avdeeva and Bukina and Horvath and Svistun each notched victories, while the team of Hommell and Horvath was the only doubles group to fall to the Utes.
Kansas will next take to the courts on Feb. 18 when they travel to Louisville, Ky. to take on the Louisville Cardinals.
1) Elizabeth Ferris (Utah) def. #79 Ksenia Bukina (KU), 7-6, 6-4
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Emily Kwok (Utah), 6-1, 6-2
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Cinthia Saucedo (Utah), 6-2, 6-2
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Leigh Walsh (Utah), 6-4, 7-5
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Cheyenne Reveche (Utah), 6-3, 6-2
6) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Asllison Sine (Utah), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Ferris/Saucedo (Utah), 8-6
2) Kwok/Walsh (Utah) def. Hommel/Horvath (KU), 9-8
3) Skoda/Svistun (KU) def. Sine/Bourdages (Utah) 8-2