Jayhawks Upended by No. 19 Wake Forest, 6-1
Feb. 4, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The University of Kansas tennis team fell to No. 19 Wake Forest, 6-1, Sunday afternoon in Winston-Salem. The setback drops KU to 1-5 on the season.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
KU, who was again forced to forfeit the No. 3 doubles match and the No. 6 singles contest due to injuries, got its only point from sophomore Yuliana Svistun in the No. 5 singles position over Wake’s Jenna Loeb, 8-4. The match was played in a tiebreak format after the Demon Deacons had already secured the dual victory.
Svistun, a Ufa, Russia, native, improved to combined 12-5 in singles play in 2006-07.
In doubles play, KU’s tandem of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath suffered its first defeat of the spring in an 8-4 loss at the hands of WFU’s Alex Hirsch and Sieraa Poske.
Kansas will next be in action on Feb. 11 when it hosts Arkansas at First Serve. The dual is set to begin at noon.
1) #29 Alex Hirsch (WFU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-2, 6-4
2) #79 Ashlee Davis (WFU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-2, 6-0
3) #55 Christian Tara (WFU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-1, 6-2
4) Christine Simpson (WFU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Jenna Loeb (WFU), 8-4
6) KU forfeits point to WFU
1) Hirsch/Poske (WFU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-4
2) Jerman/Tara (WFU) def. Dorn/Hommell (KU), 8-1
3) KU forfeits match to WFU