Kansas Wins First Dual of 2011 with 6-1 Victory Over Drake
Feb. 5, 2011
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Kansas won five of its six singles matches and swept the three doubles matches to claim a 6-1 victory over Drake in its first dual of the 2011 spring season.
The dual began with KU sweeping the doubles matches against the Bulldogs. In the No. 1 doubles, the team of junior Ekaterina Morozova and freshman Dylan Windom won the first two games and controlled the match the rest of the way, cruising easily to an 8-2 victory over Manca Krizman and Gabriela Demos.
In No. 2 doubles, sophomores Sara Lazarevic and Monica Pezzotti trailed early, 3-2, but won the next six games to capture the match, 8-3. The No. 3 doubles match was close throughout, remaining on-serve all the way to 6-6. Junior Erin Wilbert and freshman Los then broke the serve of the team Jessica LaBarte and Amanda Aragon, allowing Los to serve for the match and complete the sweep of the doubles matches with an 8-6 win.
In No. 1 singles, Morozova defeated Krizman, 6-2, 6-3. After winning the final three games of the first set, Morozova won the first five games of the second set before eventually claiming the match four games later.
In No. 2 singles, Lazarevic won the first set, 6-2, and took the first three games of the second set. However, Demos stormed back to take a 5-4 lead late in the second set and eventually tie the match with a 7-5 victory in the second. In the third, Demos won the first four games, but Lazarevic rallied to force a tiebreaker. Demos won the tiebreaker, 7-2, to give Drake its lone point of the dual.
KU claimed straight-set victories in both the No. 3 and No. 4 matches with Pezotti defeating Klavdija Rebol, 6-4, 6-4, and Los beating Ali Patterson, 6-2, 6-1.
In No. 5 singles, Windom fell behind, 3-6, 1-2 to begin the match, but then rallied to win the final 11 games, earning the victory over LaBarte in three sets, 3-6, 6-2, 6-0. Sophomore Victoria Khanevskaya won her No. 6 singles match in straight sets over Aragon, 6-3, 6-1.
Kansas will now travel to Pullman, Wash., to play Washington State next Saturday, Feb. 12, and Santa Clara on Sunday, Feb. 13, before returning to Lawrence for a seven-dual homestand.
Drake (0-3) vs. Kansas (1-0)
February 5, 2011
Lawrence, Kan. – Jayhawk Tennis Facility
Kansas 6, Drake 1
1. Ekaterina Morozova/Dylan Windom (KU) def. Manca Krizman/Gabriela Demos (DU), 8-2
2. Sara Lazarevic/Monica Pezzotti (KU) def. Klavdija Rebol/Jessica Aguilera (DU), 8-3
3. Erin Wilbert/Paulina Los (KU) def. Jessica LaBarte/Amanda Aragon (DU), 8-6
1. Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Manca Krizman (DU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Gabriela Demos (DU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (2)
3. Monica Pezzotti (KU) def. Klavdija Rebol (DU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Paulina Los (KU) def. Ali Patterson (DU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Dylan Windom (KU) def. Jessica LaBarte (DU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Amanda Aragon, 6-3, 6-1