Feb. 9, 2013
KU STARTERS (Season/Career Starts): C Jeff Withey (23/63), G Elijah Johnson (23/69), G Ben McLemore (23/23), F Travis Releford (23/65), F Kevin Young (19/19)
SERIES INFO: Kansas fell to 138-65 all-time against Oklahoma.
ATTENDANCE: 13,490 (Sold) / 10,503 (Estimated)
- Made Kansas 19-4 on the season and 7-3 in Big 12 play.
- Marked the third straight defeat for the Jayhawks, the first true losing streak for Kansas since Feb. 14-19, 2005.
- Made the KU-OU series 139-65, ending KU’s 10-game winning streak against the Sooners, including four straight at the Lloyd Noble Center.
- Moved Bill Self to 288-57 at Kansas, 495-162 overall and 11-4 against Oklahoma (11-2 at Kansas).
- Made KU 2,089-810 all-time.
- Kansas got off to a relatively quick start, scoring first on a put-back dunk by Kevin Young just 38 seconds into the game after going for more than seven minutes without a basket against TCU.
- Kansas trailed 38-34 at the break, just the fifth time this season but third game in a row that the Jayhawks have found themselves behind after 20 minutes. Kansas fell to 2-3 in games when trailing at the break.
- Kansas entered the game with the best field goal percentage defense in the nation, but saw Oklahoma shoot 55.6 percent (15-for-27) in the first half – the best mark against the Jayhawks in a half this season.
- The Jayhawks hit two three-point field goals in the first half, keeping KU’s games with at least one trey alive. Last game in which Kansas did not hit a three was a 100-90 win against Baylor (2/9/08).
- Kansas lost three in a row for the first time since 2005, with the third game of that skid also represented as KU’s last loss in Norman (Feb. 21). Kansas lost to Texas Tech, Iowa State and Oklahoma during that skid (Feb. 14-21).
- Oklahoma announced a sold-out crowd of 13,490 and estimated a real attendance at 10,503, the most for the Sooners since playing the Bedlam game (12,695) against Oklahoma State to open Big 12 play Jan. 12.
- Freshman G Ben McLemore led Kansas in scoring for the 12th time this season with 15 points. It also marked the 22nd time in 23 games that McLemore has reached double figures in scoring.
- Senior C Jeff Withey tied the Kansas career blocks record after rejecting an attempt by OU’s Andrew Fitzgerald at the 19:13 mark of the second half. Withey tied former Jayhawk Greg Ostertag with 258 career blocks.
- Senior G Elijah Johnson scored 10 points, his ninth game this season in double figures.
- Senior F Kevin Young returned to the starting lineup after coming off the bench for the first time against TCU. He made an immediate impact, nabbing an offensive rebound and scoring KU’s first points on a put-back dunk in the first minute of the game. Young had two put-back dunks in the first half and scored six points before running into foul trouble in the opening minutes of the second half. He finished the game with eight points before fouling out with 57 seconds left.
- Senior G Travis Releford led all scorers at halftime with seven points but it was a balanced effort from Kansas with Young, Withey and McLemore each logging six points. Releford added one point in the second half and finished with eight.
- Freshman F Jamari Traylor was the first player off the bench for Kansas and scored a basket for the second consecutive game.
- Young is the only Jayhawk to have a steal in every Big 12 game this season. He collected one more on Saturday.