Jayhawks Edged by No. 34 BYU, 4-3
Feb. 16, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. – The University of Kansas tennis team dropped a hard-fought dual to 34th-ranked BYU, 4-3, Friday afternoon at First Serve in Lawrence. The defeat drops KU’s record to 1-7 on the season.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The Jayhawks continued to struggle in doubles play, falling in all three matches to drop the point to the Cougars. Kansas’ tandem of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath lost just its second match of the spring, 8-4, to BYU’s Surkova and Miccoli.
KU dropped the No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches, but began to engineer a comeback after Horvath picked up a straight-set win in the No. 3 position to shrink BYU’s lead to 3-1. The Jayhawks also got three-set wins from junior Lauren Hommell in the No. 4 slot and sophomore Yuliana Svistun in the No. 5 contest, but the Cougars’ Dolly Change defeated KU’s Stephanie Smith, 6-2, 6-0, in the No. 6 contest, securing the win for BYU.
Svistun’s victory was the Ufa, Russia, native’s third straight, while Horvath’s win snapped a personal two-match losing streak. Hommell, who opened the season 0-3 in singles play, has now won three of her last four contests.
Kansas will be in action again on Saturday when it hosts Utah. The dual is set to begin at 11 a.m. at First Serve.
1) Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-4
2) Jones/Holden (BYU) def. Hommell/Svistun (KU), 8-1
3) Doerr/Chang (BYU) def. Smith/Dorn (KU), 8-6
1) Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-2, 7-6 (3)
2) Anastasia Surkova (BYU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-2, 6-2
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Kristina Doerr (BYU), 6-2, 6-4
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Sofia Holden (BYU), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (8)
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Chie Hayasaka (BYU), 6-0, 3-6, 6-0
6) Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-2, 6-0