Kansas Defeats No. 74 Louisville, Extends Winning Streak to Four Matches
Feb. 18, 2006
Louisville, Ky. — The University of Kansas tennis team extended its winning streak to four matches on Saturday, Feb. 18, defeating 74th ranked Louisville 4-3, in Louisville. The victory marked KU’s first over a ranked opponent this season.
The Jayhawks opened the day by getting victories from their top two singles players, freshman Ksenia Bukina and sophomore Elizaveta Avdeeva. Also notching a win for Kansas in singles play was freshman Yuliana Svistun, 6-4, 7-4, over Natalia Baez. With their wins, Avdeeva and Svistun each remain unbeaten in single action this season.
In doubles play, KU’s tandems of sophomore Lauren Hommell and freshman Edina Horvath and senior Christine Skoda and junior Brittany Brown both recorded wins over the Cardinals.
The 4-1 Jayhawks will continue their road trip next Saturday when they travel to Arkansas to take on the Lady Razorbacks, and then to Tulsa on Sunday.
1) Ksenia Bukina (KU) def. Maria Klokotzky (UL), 1-6, 4-4, 7-6 (3)
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Bianca Gorbea (UL), 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3) Robyn White (UL) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4) Suzanna Gracanin (UL) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-2, 6-3
5) Natalia Laszkowski (UL) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
6) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Natalia Baez (UL), 6-4, 6-4
1) Klokotzky/White (UL) def. Avdeeva/Bukina (KU), 8-4
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Gracanin/Laszkowski (UL), 8-5
3) Skoda/Brown (KU) def. Gorbea/Valazquez (UL), 9-7