Jayhawks Can't Hold Off Texas Tech

Feb. 20, 2008

Final Stats | Notes

<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LUBBOCK, TEXAS – Freshman Krysten Boogaard’s 17 points and eight rebounds were not enough for the University of Kansas women’s basketball team to fend off Texas Tech on Wednesday night as the Jayhawks fell 65-61 at United Spirit Arena.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>

With the loss, the Jayhawks fell to 15-10 overall and 4-8 in the Big 12 conference while the Red Raiders improved to 15-11 overall and 3-9 in the conference.

Kansas took over early in the first half. After Texas Tech took a 7-6 lead on Keisha Walker’s three-point play five minutes into the first half, the Jayhawks promptly scored 16 of the game’s next 18 points. Boogaard scored nine points during the run and the Jayhawk defense forced seven turnovers as Kansas held a 22-9 advantage at the 9:11 mark.

After pushing the lead to 27-15, KU went the next 3:24 without a basket and Texas Tech crawled to within six, 27-21 with just over three minutes remaining in the opening half.

However, the Red Raiders were held scoreless for the rest of the half and successive three-point baskets by freshman Nicollette Smith and sophomore Danielle McCray gave KU a 33-21 halftime lead.

With Kansas leading 37-26 at the 18:35 mark of the second half, Texas Tech responded with 15 unanswered points to take a 41-37 lead with 13:42 left in the game.

The team’s shared baskets until Texas Tech opened up their largest lead of the game, 60-49, with a 10-1 run with 5:33 left on the clock.

Back-to-back three’s by junior Ivana Catic and Smith closed the gap to 60-55 at 4:18 of the second half. After each team traded a basket, Smith knocked down a pair of free throws to get Kansas within three, 62-59 with 47 seconds remaining.

On Texas Tech’s next possession, with 21 seconds left in the game, sophomore Jordan Murphree hit an-off balanced, one-handed lay-up to stretch the lead to 64-59. Sophomore Sade Morris drove the length of the court to cut the score to 64-61, but Texas Tech made one of two free throws with seven seconds remaining to seal the game.

The Jayhawks will be in action on Sunday, Feb. 24 for another Big 12 road matchup when they travel to Columbia, Mo. to take on the Missouri Tigers at 1:30 p.m.