Martinez Records Lone Win for Kansas Tennis in Loss at No. 34 Tulsa
Feb. 21, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Junior Maria Martinez defeated Ewa Szatkowska in straight-sets, but the Jayhawk tennis team fell to No. 34 Tulsa 6-1 on Sunday.
Szatkowska challenged Martinez in two close sets, but Martinez won in a 7-6 (6), 7-5 decision.
Sophomore Erin Wilbert fell to 4-2 on the season with a loss to Tulsa’s Rebecca Row in three sets at the No. 5 spot and Tulsa’s Alexandra Kichoutkin defeated sophomore Ekaterina Morozova at the No. 1 spot.
“Tulsa has a good team,” said Martinez. “There were a lot of close matches today that we could not finish, but I’m glad I was able to come out with a win.”
In doubles play, the nationally-ranked No. 38 team JoAnne Karaitiana and Kichoutkin squeaked past KU’s Sara Lazarevic and Wilbert 8-6. Freshman Victoria Khanevskaya and Morozova paired up at the No. 2 spot and fell 8-5.
“I felt we had our chances today,” said Head Coach Amy Hall-Holt. “I don’t think we stepped up like we should have. We need to work on competing harder and putting ourselves in a position to win.”
Kansas will continue its stretch of road matches when it travels to New Mexico State on Saturday, Feb. 27 and UTEP on Sunday Feb. 28. Match play is slated to begin at 10 a.m. both days.
Check back to www.kuathletics.com/tennis for complete results.
#34 Tulsa 6, Kansas 1
Doubles (Order: 3, 1, 2)
1. #38 Karaitiana/Kichoutkin (TLS) def. Lazarevic/Wilbert (KAN), 8-6
2. Erofeeva/Szatkowska (TLS) def. Morozova/Khanevskaya (KAN), 8-5
3. Farley/Row (TLS) def. Dzuba/Martinez (KAN), 8-4
Singles (Order: 6, 2, 1, 3, 5, 4)
1. Alexandra Kichoutkin (TLS) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KAN), 7-5, 6-1
2. Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) def. Sara Lazarevic (KAN), 6-1, 6-0
3. JoAnne Karaitiana (TLS) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KAN), 6-4, 6-2
4. Maria Martinez (KAN) def. Ewa Szatkowska (TLS), 7-6 (6), 7-5
5. Rebecca Row (TLS) def. Erin Wilbert (KAN), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KAN), 6-0, 6-2