Kansas Falls 68-51 at Texas Tech

Feb. 21, 2010

Final Stats | Notes

LUBBOCK, Texas –

A 21-6 run by Texas Tech to open the second half was too much for the Jayhawks to overcome, as Kansas fell 68-51 Sunday afternoon in Lubbock, Texas.

Kansas dropped to 15-10 on the season and 5-7 in the Big 12 Conference, while Texas Tech improved to 16-10 overall and 4-8 in league play.

The Lady Raiders dominated the offensive glass, outrebounding Kansas 21-15, which TTU turned into 20 points. The Jayhawks were also plagued by foul trouble, as senior Sade Morris and freshmen Carolyn Davis and Monica Engelman were forced to sit for several minutes at the start of the second period, in which time, the Lady Raiders scored seven straight points to take a 41-36 lead at the 13:21 mark.

TTU continued the scoring barrage, tallying 11 points over the next five minutes to extend the lead to double digits at 52-38.The Jayhawks fought till the end, but could not come up with an answer, dropping their 11th-consecutive matchup with Texas Tech.

Engelman led the team with 18 points, but struggled from beyond the arc, only converting one of her eight three-point attempts. Sophomore forward Aishah Sutherland recorded her fifth double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

TTU had three players in double figures, including senior guard Jordan Murphee who led all scorers with 20. Senior forward Ashlee Roberson added 13 points and 10 rebounds, while sophomore center Kierra Mallard chipped in 10 points.

Both Kansas and Texas Tech struggled to find the basket in the opening minutes of the contest, as both teams shot below 40 percent through nine minutes of play. After starting 3-of-10 from the field, KU began to find its stroke and buried 10 of its next 16 shots to take its biggest lead of the half at 28-20 with 4:22 remaining. Engelman contributed nine points during the run, including an acrobatic block on the defensive end, followed immediately by a reverse layup through traffic on the other end of the floor.

The Lady Raiders kept the pressure on, though and managed to close out the half on a 9-2 run, fueled by Murpee, who had 12 first-half points. Despite holding TTU to at 38.7 field goal percentage and enjoying a 23-17 advantage in rebounds in the first half, the Jayhawks led by only one point at the break at 32-31.

The Jayhawks will return to Allen Fieldhouse for their next contest when they take on the Iowa State Cyclones Thursday, Feb. 25 at 6 p.m. The game will be televised on FSN.