Jayhawks Defeated by No. 22 Kentucky, 6-1
Feb. 23, 2008
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kansas tennis squad saw its two-match winning streak come to an end on Saturday as it fell to 22nd-ranked Kentucky, 6-1. The setback dropped the Jayhawks to 2-4.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The Wildcats, who are the highest ranked foe that KU has faced this season, opened the day by taking all three doubles matches to quickly go up 1-0. Kansas’ No. 1 tandem of senior Elizaveta Avdeeva and junior Edina Horvath suffered its first loss of the dual match season with an 8-4 loss to UK’s Megan Broderick and Carolina Escamilla.
Kentucky then recorded victories in five of the six singles contests to secure the win. Kansas’ only point came in the No. 6 position, where senior Lauren Hommell, who was set to play her first singles match of the season, won by default over Kentucky’s Whitney Spencer.
Horvath, who also had not lost a singles matchup all spring, fell to Escamilla in the No. 3 slot, 6-2, 6-2.
Sophomore Kunigunda Dorn was the only Jayhawk to take a match to three sets, but the Sopron, Hungary native came up short against UK’s Alaina Trgovich, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (5).
Kansas will look to bounce back on Sunday when they travel to Eastern Kentucky to take on the Colonels. The match is set to begin at 9:30 a.m.
1) Broderick/Escamilla (UK) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-4
2) Johnston/Trgovich (UK) def. Dorn/Svistun (KU), 8-3
3) Spencer/Woestmann (UK) def. Hommell/Martinez (KU), 8-1
1) #79 Sarah Woestmann (UK) def. Magdelena Tokarczyk (KU), 6-3, 7-6(6)
2) #95 Megan Broderick (UK) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-3, 6-4
3) Carolina Escamilla (UK) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-2, 6-2
4) Alaina Trgovich (UK) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0(5)
5) Christine Johnston (UK) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU), 6-3, 6-3
6) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Whitney Spencer (UK), default