KU Dominant in 6-1 Win over Eastern Kentucky
Feb. 24, 2008
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>RICHMOND, Ky. — A day after its two-match winning streak was snapped, the University of Kansas tennis team bounced back with a convincing 6-1 victory over Eastern Kentucky on Sunday morning. The win improved the Jayhawks to 3-4.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
Kansas struggled in doubles action to open the day, losing two of the three matches to fall behind 1-0 to the overmatched Colonels. The Jayhawks did get a win in the No. 1 position, however, as KU’s tandem of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath rebounded from its first loss of dual season against Kentucky with a solid 8-3 win over EKU’s Svetlana Primova and Alexandra Sitnikova, improving the pair’s record to 6-1 in match play and 13-6 overall.
The Jayhawks got it together in singles, though, as they won each of the six matches, including four in straight sets. Highlighting the day for KU was senior Lauren Hommell, who played singles for the first time since last spring after suffering a wrist injury. The Roswell, Ga., native technically picked up her first win on Saturday with a default victory against Kentucky, but Sunday was her first time on the court. Hommell showed no rust as she handled EKU’s Myriem Mhirit, 6-4, 6-3.
Horvath, who also dropped her first singles contest of the dual match season on Saturday against UK, came back with a convincing 6-3, 6-3 win over Sitnikova to improve her singles mark to 12-6 overall. The Budapest, Hungary, native leads the team with six victories this spring.
Also notching singles wins for Kansas on Sunday were freshman Magdalena Tokarczyk in the No. 1 slot, Avdeeva at No. 2, junior Yuliana Svistun in the No. 4 position, and senior Stephanie Smith in the No. 6 match.
KU will continue its string of road duals next Saturday when it travels to Provo, Utah to take on BYU. Play is set to begin at 11 a.m.
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Pimenova/Sitnikova (EKU), 8-3
2) Euers/Giles (EKU) def. Dorn/Svistun (KU), 9-8
3) Faure/Heimeroth (EKU) def. Hommell/Martinez (KU), 9-8
1) Magdalena Tokarczyk (KU) def. Svetlana Pimenova (EKU), 6-4, 6-0
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Meredith Giles (EKU), 6-1, 6-1
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Alexandra Sitnikova (EKU), 6-3, 6-3
4) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Anouk Faure (EKU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Myriem Mhirit (EKU), 6-4, 6-3
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Jemma Euers (EKU), 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6)