Jayhawks Drop Thriller to Arkansas
Feb. 25, 2006
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas’ Vlatka Jovanovic defeated Kansas’ Elizaveta Avdeeva in a thrilling three-set, three-tiebreak match with the dual knotted at 3-3 to give the 60th ranked Lady Razorbacks a 4-3 win over the 75th ranked Jayhawks, Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark. <?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The loss, which snapped KU’s four-match winning streak, drops <?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>Kansas to 4-2 this season.
The Jayhawks opened the day by winning two of three doubles matches, getting victories by the tandems of Edina Horvath and Lauren Hommell and Christine Skoda and Brittany Brown.
In singles play, Kansas got wins from Skoda, in the No. 3 position, and Horvath, at No. 6.
With every match completed but the No. 2 singles, Jovanovic and Avdeeva continued to trade punches. After dropping the first set 6-7 (8), Avdeeva took the second, once again in a tiebreak, 7-6 (4). Jovanovic then won the third set yet again by tiebreak, 7-6 (4), withstanding a late comeback by Avdeeva. The loss was the sophomore’s first this season.
Kansas will look to bounce back tomorrow when it travels to Tulsa, Okla. to take on No. 72 Tulsa. The match is slated to begin at noon.
1) Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU) 6-1, 6-1
2) Vlatka Javanovic (AR) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 7-6 (8), 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4)
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Karina Ledaja (AR) 6-2, 6-4
4) Maryori Franco (AR) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 6-0, 6-2
5) Audrey Bordeleau (AR) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Melissa Cornett 6-2, 7-5
1) Miseivicute/Kaluder (AR) def. Bukina/Avdeeva (KU) 8-6
2) Horvath/Hommell (KU) def. Franco/Ledaja (AR) 8-4
3) Skoda/Brown (KU) def. Cornett/Wilhelm (AR) 8-5