Kansas Women's Golf to Compete in Sir Pizza Cards Challenge
Feb. 25, 2011
LAWRENCE, Kan.—Kansas women’s golf travels to Weston, Fla., for the Sir Pizza Cards Challenge hosted by Louisville at the Weston Hills Golf Course Feb. 27-March 1. The Jayhawks will play 54 holes over three days beginning Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
“We are excited to head down to Florida this week,” said Kansas head coach Erin O’Neil. “The warm weather we had this past week allowed us to practice outdoors which was a huge benefit.”
KU is looking to build on the success the team had at the Claud Jacobs Intercollegiate. Led by senior Meghna Bal, the Jayhawks finished second with Bal tying for third individually.
“We had a strong start at our first tournament at Texas State and hopefully that will be a positive experience for the players to draw from during this event,” O’neil said. “Our goal as always is to be mentally strong and not give up.”
Bal will be joined in the Kansas lineup by senior Grace Thiry, freshmen Meghan Potee and Thanuttra Boonraksasat and junior Katy Nugent. Senior Jennifer Clark will be competing has an individual.
14 teams will be competing in the event including Arkansas St., Cincinnati, ETSU, Florida International, Kansas St., Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Mississippi St., North Carolina St., South Florida, Texas St. and UNC Wilmington.
Kansas will next compete at the Mountain View Challenge in Tucson, Ariz., March 25 and 26.
1. Meghna Bal (17, 75.58, t3rd at Claud Jacobs Intercollegiate)
2. Grace Thiry (17, 75.0, 1st at Marilynn Smith Invitational)
3. Meghan Potee (15, 78.0, t16th at Claud Jacobs Intercollegiate)
4. Thanuttra Boonraksasat (17, 76.7, t21st at Claud Jacobs Intercollegiate)
5. Katy Nugent (17, 75.8, 2nd at Marilynn Smith Invitational)
6. Jennifer Clark (individual) (14, 78.1, t23rd at Chip-N Club Invitational)