Martinez Continues Hot Streak to Spark Kansas Tennis Victory
Feb. 27, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. – –
Junior Maria Martinez improved her singles record to 5-2 to lead the Kansas tennis team to a 4-3 defeat of New Mexico State on Saturday in Las Cruces, N.M. KU improved its record to 4-3 with the victory.
Martinez defeated New Mexico State’s Manon Sylvain in a 7-6, 5-7, 7-0 decision at the No. 3 singles position.
Sophomore Ekaterina Morozova, senior Kunigunda Dorn and freshman Vika Khanevskaya all recorded wins in singles play for the Jayhawks.
KU’s singles play overshadowed its doubles play as the Jayhawks did not win a doubles match.
Kansas returns to the court Sunday to face UTEP in El Paso, Texas. Match play begins at 10 a.m.
Kansas 4, New Mexico State 3
- Kulaif/Costa (NMSU) def. Wilbert/Lazarevic (KU), 8-6
- Marks/Sylvain (NMSU) def. Morozova/Khanevskaya (KU), 8-4
- Pinero/Salum (NMSU) def. Martinez/Dzuba (KU), 8-3
- Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Sophia Marks (NMSU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(3)
- Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 6-4, 7-6
- Maria Martinez (KU) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU), 7-6, 5-7, 6-0
- Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Aleksa Costa (NMSU), 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
- Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Erin Wilbert (KU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Vika Khanevskaya (KU) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU), 0-6, 7-5, 6-3