Jayhawks Roll Past Nebraska, 5-2, Evening Conference Record
March 10, 2007
LAWRENCE, Kan. — KU dominated singles and doubles en route to a 5-2 win over Nebraska on Saturday, marking the first back-to-back wins of the season for the Jayhawks and improving their record to 4-8, 2-2.
Kansas, playing its first outdoor contest of the season, opened the day by winning two of three doubles matches to take the point. After falling in the No. 2 contest, KU got wins from its No. 3 tandem of junior Stephanie Smith and freshman Kunigunda Dorn and from the No. 1 duo of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath to give the Jayhawks an early 1-0 lead.
With their win, Avdeeva and Horvath improved to 10-2 on the season, including a league-leading 4-0 in Big 12 play.
In singles action, the Jayhawks started on a down note after junior Lauren Hommell was forced to retire from her No. 4 match, evening the dual at 1-1. However, it was all KU from that point, as the Jayhawks won all but one of the remaining contests, including Horvath’s 6-3, 6-2 victory over Wiveca Swarting in the No. 3 match to clinch the win.
Also notching victories for Kansas were Dorn (No. 2), Smith (No. 6), and sophomore Yuliana Svistun, who notched her seventh-straight victory by topping Marianne Cicmanec, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 5 position.
KU will look for its third-straight win on Sunday when it hosts Louisville at 11 a.m. at Robinson Courts.
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Reimers/Kuhl (NU), 9-7
2) Ring/Swarting (NU) def. Hommell/Svistun (KU), 8-4
3) Dorn/Smith (KU) def. Cicmanec/Finnegan (NU), 9-7
1) #57 Imke Reimers (NU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-1, 6-2
2) Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Diana Kuhl (NU), 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Wiveca Swarting (NU), 6-3, 6-2
4) Maria Ring (NU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, inj. def.
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Marianne Cicmanec (NU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Ashley Finnegan (NU), 7-5, 6-2