Jayhawks Defeated by Louisville, 5-2
March 11, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. – The University of Kansas’ bid to win its third-straight dual was stopped short on Sunday by Louisville, 5-2. The setback drops the Jayhawks to 4-9, 2-2.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
As has been the case in every one of its losses this season, KU opened the match by dropping the doubles point. Kansas’ only doubles win came from the steady tandem of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath in the No. 1 position, 8-2, over Louisville’s Imre and White. The victory improved the duo’s spring record to 11-2, and the two have now won five in a row.
KU then quickly fell behind 3-0 after the dropped the No. 4 match and was forced to forfeit the No. 6 contest. However, the Jayhawks began to make a comeback, as Horvath recorded a 7-5, 6-3 win in the No. 3 match and KU took the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 contests into third sets.
In the end, though, only Avdeeva, playing in the No. 2 slot for the first time this season, was able to pick up a victory, coming back after dropping the first set. The Obninsk, Russia, native defeated the Cardinals’ Natalie Lazkowski, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Freshman Kunigunda Dorn played well in her first appearance at the No. 1 spot this season, falling in three, hotly-contested sets to Lauren Imre.
The Jayhawks will be on an extended break before their next dual at Baylor on March. 30. KU’s only competition in the layoff will be a two-day round-robin tournament in Phoenix, Ariz. on March 22 and 23.
1) Lauren Imre (UL) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 2-6, 7-5, 6-1
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Natalie Lazkowski (UL), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Robyn White (UL), 7-5, 6-3
4) Bianca Gorbea (UL) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU), 6-3, 6-0
5) Jo-Ann Van Aerde (UL) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
6) Louisville wins point by default
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Imre/White (UL), 8-2
2) Baez/Gorbea (UL) def. Hommell/Svistun (KU), 8-2
3) Van Aerde/Lazkowski (UL) def. Dorn/Smith (KU), 8-4