Oklahoma State Tops Jayhawks, 4-3
March 12, 2006
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. – The University of Kansas tennis team fell 4-3 to Big 12 Conference rival OklahomaState, 4-3, Sunday at First Serve. The loss drops KU to 5-5 this season and 0-2 in league play.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The match, which lasted over seven hours from start to finish, was delayed for more than two hours because of severe weather in the Lawrence area.
Before the stoppage, KU took two of three doubles contests from OSU. Kansas’ tandems of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina and Christine Skoda and Brittay Brown notched wins for the Jayhawks.
Following the weather delay, OklahomaState took four of the six singles matches to earn victory. Avdeeva and Stephanie Smith each recorded wins for KU.
The Jayhawks will be back on the courts this week when they travel to Manhattan to take on SunflowerState- rival KansasState on Wednesday.
1) Iryna Tkachenko (OSU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), 6-2, 6-2
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Zana Masnic (OSU), 6-1, 7-5
3) Lauren Simmons (OSU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-4, 6-2
4) Yawna Allen (OSU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-2, 6-3
5) Marta Tsvika (OSU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-3, 6-3
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Jessica Collins (OSU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Tkachenko/Tsivka (OSU), 9-7
2) Masnic/Allen (OSU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 8-7
3) Skoda/Brown (KU) def. Simmons/Osinska (OSU), 8-4