Kansas Women's Tennis Drops First Big 12 Match to Nebraska, 6-1
March 13, 2009
LINCOLN, Neb. –
The loss was KU’s first to Nebraska in three years and dropped the Jayhawks’ record to 5-6 on the season. Nebraska improved to 10-0.
Kansas surrendered the doubles point to the Huskers, winning just one of the three matches. Yuliana Svistun and Alessandra Dzuba teamed up to defeat Swarting and Ring of NU, 8-6. Svistun and Dzuba are now 1-1 as a doubles tandem.
Singles play did not go much better, as sophomore Maria Martinez provided the only win for KU. Martinez took a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Stephanie Evans at the No. 5 position. Edina Horvath and Kunigunda Dorn each took her match to three sets, but came up short in the tiebreaker as Nebraska cruised to the 6-1 dual win.
Kansas takes to the court again Saturday when it travels to Ames, Iowa for a 3:30 p.m. match against the Iowa State Cyclones.
1. Albers/Geibert (NU) def. Horvath/Morozova (KU) 8-5
2. Svistun/Dzuba (KU) def. Swarting/Ring (NU) 8-6
3. Weatherholt/Holmberg (NU) def. Dorn/Wilbert (KU) 8-4
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Edina Horvath (KU) 6-7, 6-4, 10-5
2. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Wiveca Swarting (NU) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jana Albers (NU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU) 6-1, 5-7, 10-5
5. Maria Martinez (KU) def. Stephanie Evans (NU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Erin Wilbert (KU) 6-2, 6-2