KU Tennis Outlasts No. 48 Oklahoma, 4-3
March 18, 2005
Norman, Okla. – The University of Kansas tennis team came from behind to defeat No. 48 Oklahoma, 4-3, Friday in Norman, Okla. The Jayhawks won four of six singles matches to secure the win and move the teams’ record to 3-9 overall and 2-2 in Big 12 play.
After losing the doubles point and dropping the first two singles matches, the Jayhawks quickly found themselves in an 0-3 hole needing four straight singles victories to win the match. KU got the spark they needed from sophomore Brittany Brown who got the `Hawks in the win column with a 7-6 (8), 6-2 victory over OU’s Bethany Griffin, in No. 3 singles. KU continued its’ comeback as junior Christine Skoda earned her third win in Big 12 play with a straight-set victory over Irina Lykina, 6-2, 7-6 (6), in No. 2 singles.
The Jayhawks finished the day with three-set victories from a pair of freshmen, Elizaveta Avdeeva and Stephanie Smith. In No. 1 singles, Avdeeva came from behind to finish off the Sooners’ Heather Saluri, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. With her teammates cheering her on, Smith notched a thrilling third-set victory over Chelsea Orr, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, to propel the Jayhawks to the 4-3 victory.
“This was what we have been working for all season,” Kansas head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “We never gave up and I am very proud of the entire team today. I am confident that we will continue to compete at this level of play.”
The `Hawks will next be in action tomorrow against Oklahoma St., in Stillwater, Okla., at 11 a.m.
1. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Heather Saluri (OU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Irina Lykina(OU) 6-2, 7-6 (6)
3. Brittany Brown (KU) def. Bethany Griffin (OU) 7-6 (8), 6-2
4. Jessica Braver (OU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
1. Saluri/Orr (OU) def. Brown/Hommell (KU) 8-4
2. Lykina/Braver (OU) def. Skoda/Filberth (KU) 8-4
3. Baxley/Griffin (OU) def. Avdeeva/Luiza Louriero (KU) 8-5