Kansas Dominates Southern, 7-0
March 19, 2006
Baton Rouge, La. — The University of Kansas ended its four-match losing streak in impressive fashion on Sunday, March 19, shutting out Southern, 7-0. The victory evens KU’s record at 6-6.
The Jayhawks won every singles match in straight sets, with KU’s Ksenia Bukina, Elizaveta Avdeeva, Christine Skoda, Lauren Hommell, Edina Horvath and Stephanie Smith all notching victories. Avdeeva’s win was the sophomore’s fourth straight.
KU blanked Southern in each of the three doubles matches, with the tandems of Bukina and Avdeeva, Hommell and Horvath, and Skoda and Smith all beating their Jaguar opponents, 8-0. Sunday marked the first time this season that Skoda and Smith teamed up in doubles play.
Kansas will look to go 2-0 in the State of Louisianna when it plays LSU in Baton Rouge on Tuesday, March 21.
1) Ksenia Bukina (KU) def. Francisca Osedumme (SU), 6-3, 6-2
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Me’Shala Johnson (SU), 6-0, 6-0
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Tania Hicks (SU), 6-2, 6-2
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Bethlehem Workeneh (SU), 6-3, 6-1
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Sidney Lartigue (SU), 6-2, 6-0
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Jennifer Floyd (SU), 6-0, 6-0
1) Bukina/Avdeeva (KU) def. Osedumme/Johnson (SU), 8-0
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Hicks/Floyd (SU), 8-0
3) Skoda/Smith (KU) def. Marshall/Workeneh, 8-0