Kansas Postgame Notes vs. North Dakota State
March 20, 2009
The Kansas win…
– Was KU’s fifth straight victory in a dome and improved KU to 6-1 in the big venues in the Bill Self era.
– Improved KU to 26-7 on the season.
– KU has won 10 of its last 11 NCAA Tournament games in the last three years.
– Gave KU its 24th NCAA Tournament first-round win in the last 26 years dating back to 1978.
– Improved KU to 83-36 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
– Improved KU to 7-3 as the tournament’s number three seed.
– Improved KU to 2-2 in neutral site games this year and 8-6 in all games away from Allen Fieldhouse this year.
– Made the Jayhawks 13-4 in the NCAA Tournament in the Bill Self era.
– Gave KU its seventh win in its last nine games this season.
– Kansas had a season-low five turnovers (10 on four previous occasions).
– Kansas shot 80 percent from the free throw line (16 of 20) marking the 11th time this year the Jayhawks shot at least 80 percent from the charity stripe this year.
– Kansas used a pair of 7-0 runs in the first half. The first turned a 17-14 NDSU lead into a 21-17 Kansas advantage, while the second turned a 27-27 tie into a 34-27 KU lead. The last run started a 16-7 run to end the half and gave KU a 43-34 halftime lead.
– After trailing at halftime in each of its previous three games, KU led at the break 43-34.
– KU’s first three baskets of the second half were dunks (two by Cole Aldrich and one by Tyshawn Taylor).
– KU’s bench scored just two points in the game (Markieff Morris) for the fewest by the reserves this season.
– Sherron Collins recorded a career scoring high with 32 points (previous high was 26 three times this year).
– Collins became the first Jayhawk to score at least 30 points since Mario Chalmers had 30 vs. Texas on March 16, 2008.
– Collins scored 13 of KU’s first 18 points.
– Collins scored in double figures for the 31st time in 33 games this year.
– Collins recorded eight assists to match his third-most in a game this season (had 11 vs. New Mexico State and nine vs. Tennessee).
– Cole Aldrich moved into a tie for seventh place on the KU season rebounding list with Bill Bridges (353 in 1961). He entered the game with 340 and grabbed 13 on Friday for 353 on the season.
– Aldrich recorded his 19th double-double of the season and 20th of his career.
– Aldrich recorded eight dunks in the game (out of nine field goals made).
– Marcus Morris handed out four assists to match his second most this season (had six vs. Syracuse and four at Kansas State). Morris also had eight points and seven rebounds.
– Morris’ seven rebounds matched his most in the last six games (seven vs. Missouri).
– Brady Morningstar scored eight points, his second most in the last six games (nine vs. Texas).