KU Records 4-3 Victory over National Power LSU
March 21, 2006
BATON ROUGE, <?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>La. – The University of Kansas tennis teamed notched its most notable win of the season on Tuesday, defeating No. 48 LSU, 4-3, in Baton Rouge. The victory improves the 74th-ranked Jayhawks to 7-6 overall.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The Tigers, out of the SEC, are the highest ranked opponent that Kansas has toppled this season, with the previous best being a 4-3 triumph over now-No. 69 Louisville. Overall, Tuesday’s match was the eighth foe currently appearing in the national rankings that KU has competed against this year.
“This was a great win for our program,” head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “Hopefully, we can build on this as we enter the pivotal part of our season.”
LSU, aside from its lofty ranking, had put together an impressive résumé prior to its contest with the Jayhawks, picking up wins over some of the nation’s top programs, including 51st-ranked Louisiana Lafayette and 70th-ranked Houston.
After falling into an early 1-0 hole by dropping two of three doubles matches, the Jayhawks battled back, winning four of the six singles matches to complete the come-from-behind victory.
Following her first set-loss to LSU’s Mykala Hedberg, freshman Ksenia Bukina battled back, taking the next two sets to claim victory in the No. 1 match. Sophomore Elizaveta Avdeeva also won in three sets, besting Marina Chiarelli in the second slot to claim her fourth straight singles victory.
KU also got singles wins from sophomore Lauren Hommell in the No. 4 spot, as well as freshman Edina Horvath, who dominated the Tigers’ Camila Caliara, 6-4, 6-0, in the No. 5 position.
The Jayhawks will look to stay hot when they host non-conference opponents UMKC and Saint Louis on Saturday, March 25, in Lawrence.
1. Ksenia Bukina (KU) def. Mykala Hedberg (LSU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Marina Chiarelli (LSU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Anastasiya Dubova (LSU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Tiffany Tucker (LSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Edina Horvath (KU) def. Camila Caliari (LSU), 6-4, 6-0
6. Daysi Espinal (LSU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-0, 6-3
1. Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Hedberg/Tucker (LSU), 8-6
2. Chiarelli/Dubova (LSU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 8-4
3. Caliari/Espinal (LSU) def. Skoda/Smith (KU), 8-6