KU Tennis Defeats Iowa State in a 4-3 Thriller
March 26, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
In an exciting match that was decided by a three-set tiebreaker, the Kansas tennis team recorded its 32nd-consecutive victory over Iowa State in a 4-3 decision Friday at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility.
The meet opened in thrilling fashion as No. 1 doubles team of sophomores Ekaterina Morozova and Erin Wilbert defeated ISU 8-3. After the No. 3 doubles team went down, it was up to the No. 2 team of freshman Vika Khanevskaya and junior Maria Martinez to earn the doubles point. After coming back from a three-game deficit, the Jayhawks tied the match at 6-6. KU could not hold on and the Cyclones took the doubles point.
In singles play, Morozova defeated ISU’s Erin Karonis in straight sets at the No. 1 spot. Senior Kunigunda Dorn and Wilbert also recorded singles victories at the No. 4 and 5 spots, respectively.
The meet decision came down to freshman Sara Lazarevic and Iowa State’s Maria Macedo at the No. 2 singles position. After suffering a setback in a first set tiebreaker, Lazarevic came back and won the second set 6-3 and the third 7-6(4).
“I was a little frustrated because the wind was so strong and I kept giving up set points,” Lazarevic said. “but the coaches have really been preaching to stay in the moment and believe in our team, so I think I was able to use that and get the victory.”
KU improved its record to 9-6 overall and 1-2 in Big 12 play. Iowa State falls to 9-7 overall and 2-2 in Big 12 play.
“Iowa State put up a great fight against us,” said Head Coach Amy Hall-Holt. “Sara’s win for the match showed that we have a lot of fight and I am excited about our momentum.”
The Jayhawks return to the Jayhawk Tennis Facility on Sunday to take on No. 43 Nebraska at 2 p.m.
Check back to www.kuathletics.com/tennis for complete results.
Kansas 4, Iowa State 3
1) Morozova/Wilbert (KU) def. Karonis/Langhorst (ISU), 8-3
2) Lang/Macedo (ISU) def. Lazarevic/Dorn (KU), 8-6
3) Palen/Wischer (ISU) def. Martinez/Khanevskaya (ISU), 8-2
1) Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Erin Karonis (ISU), 6-4, 6-2
2) Sara Lazarevic (KU) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU), 6-7(1), 6-3, 7-6(4)
3) Tessa Lang (ISU) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 6-2, 6-3
4) Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Marie Christine Chartier (ISU), 6-3, 6-3
6) Liza Wischer (ISU) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2