Kansas 75, No. 17/14 South Carolina 69 | Postgame Notes
March 25, 2013
KANSAS STARTERS (CAREER/SEASON):
- Angel Goodrich (109/33), Monica Engelman (101/33), Chelsea Gardner (28/18), Carolyn Davis (103/33) and Markisha Hawkins (5/5).
- Kansas entered the 2013 NCAA Tournament as the No. 12 seed and in the second round played No. 4 seed South Carolina in the Norfolk Regional. This season marked the Jayhawks’ 13th run in the NCAA Tournament and second consecutive season in the tournament since 2000 when Kansas went for nine-straight seasons.
- The 2013 NCAA Tournament marks the ninth season, second consecutive, the Jayhawks advanced to the second round in the tournament.
- Improved the Jayhawks’ record to 20-13 overall and marked the fourth NCAA Tournament victory in the past two seasons.
- Brought head coach Bonnie Henrickson’s Kansas record to 158-134 (ninth season) and her career record to 316-196 (16th season).
- Moved the Jayhawks’ all-time record to 755-532.
- Made Henrickson’s all-time record against USC 1-0 and marked the first meeting between the two programs.
- Gave Kansas a 13-18 all-time record while playing in Boulder, Colo. and marked the Jayhawks’ fourth-straight win in the Coors Events Center since Feb. 16, 2010.
- Increased the Jayhawks’ record to 4- 5 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament; Kansas is 4-1 under Henrickson in the tournament, 13-12 all-time.
- Made KU the first No.12 seed team to win in the second round since 1996 when San Francisco defeated No. 4 seed Duke, 64-60. No. 12 seeds are now 2-15 in the second round since 1994.
- Starting at the 16:52 mark, Kansas went on an 8-2 run for a 13-8 score. The run lasted 2:26 and during that time, Monica Engelman contributed six points.
- On the season, USC allowed its opponents 49.5 points per game but tonight, KU tallied 42 before halftime and headed into the locker with the lead, 42-41. Kansas finished with 75 points.
- The Jayhawks tied a Kansas NCAA first half points high (42), sharing the number one spot with KU’s win over Texas, 77-70, March 18, 1996.
- The Kansas defense allowed the third most points in a first half (41) against a KU opponent in a NCAA game.
- Tied for the fifth most blocks in a Kansas NCAA game (6), sharing the fifth spot with KU’s game versus Missouri State (3/18/92).
- Tied three-point percentage high of 50 percent, previously set against Vanderbilt (3/18/00).
- With 75 points on the night, the Jayhawks recorded its fourth most amount of points scored in an NCAA Tournament game.
- Senior guard Monica Engelman tallied 18 of her 27 points before halftime, breaking the previous season high of points scored in a half (Davis 17 against TCU 3/5/13). Engelman posted her fourth 20-plus effort this season, eighth career, and recorded her career high (27) breaking her previous high of 26 points against TCU (2/13/13).
- Senior guard Angel Goodrich recorded her eighth game during the 2012-13 campaign chipping in 20 or more points (20) and her 16th career effort. Goodrich also led the Jayhawks with eight assists, tying her own KU NCAA high previously set against Colorado (3/23/13).
- Sophomore forward Chelsea Gardner led the Jayhawks in rebounding, for the 16th time this season, with 12 boards.