Kansas Women's Tennis Snaps Three-Match Losing Streak
March 27, 2009
NORMAN, Okla. –
Kansas women’s tennis snapped a three-match losing streak as it defeated Oklahoma, 5-2, Friday night in Norman, Okla.
The match made Kansas 7-8 on the season and 2-3 in conference play while Oklahoma dropped to 6-10 overall and 0-4 in Big 12 action.
For just the fourth time this season, KU won the doubles point, taking matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions to clinch the early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, the Jayhawks took matches at the two, three, five and six matches to wrap up the team victory, 5-2. Katerina Morozova, Yuliana Svistun, Maria Martinez and Erin Wilbert each won matches in straight sets to guarantee the dual victory. Kansas wraps up its tour of Oklahoma with an 11 a.m. match against Oklahoma State on Sunday in Stillwater, Okla.
Please check back with kuathletics.com for results.
Kansas 5, Oklahoma 2
1. Horvath/Morozova (KU) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU), 9-8 (7)
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Martinez/Wilbert (KU), 8-4
3. Svistun/Dorn (KU) def. Lancaster/Radan (OU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Katerina Morozova (KU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 7-6, 6-2
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Kuni Dorn (KU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Maria Martinez (KU) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6