KU Falls, 7-0, to No. 16 Baylor Despite Huge Win from Avdeeva and Horvath
<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>WACO, Texas – Despite Kansas’ No. 1 doubles tandem of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath recording its most significant win of the season, the Jayhawks fell, 7-0, to 16th-ranked Baylor on Friday afternoon in Waco.
The loss drops KU to 4-9, 2-3 and snapped a streak of two straight Big 12 victories.
Avdeeva and Horvath’s 8-6 victory over Baylor’s top duo of Zuzana Cerna and Zuzana Chmerlarova improved the tandem to 12-3 this spring, including a 5-0 mark in league play.
KU also got a strong effort in the No. 1 singles position from Avdeeva, who pushed the 38th-ranked Cerna to three sets, but was edged 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
However, Baylor, the defending conference champions, defeated the Jayhawks in straight sets in each of the other five singles contests.
BU also won the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles contests to secure the point.
KU will look to get back on track on Sunday when it heads to Lubbock to take on 69th-ranked Texas Tech. The dual is schedule to begin at 10 a.m.
1) #38 Zuzana Cerna (BU) (BU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
2) #93 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-0, 7-5
3) Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-4, 6-4
4) Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 7-5, 6-2
5) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU), 6-2, 7-5
6) Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-1, 6-0
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Cerna/Chmerlarova (BU), 8-6
2) #38 Broosova/Zrustova (BU) def. Dorn/Svistun (KU), 8-3
3) Zemenova/Mihaylova (BU) def. Hommell/Smith (KU), 8-3