Tennis To Play Two In Texas
March 31, 2005
Lawrence, Kan. – Riding a two-match winning streak, the University of Kansas tennis team will travel to Texas this weekend for matches against No. 12 Baylor on April 2 and No. 75 Texas Tech on April 3. The Jayhawks are 4-9 overall and 3-2 in Big 12 play after winning their last two matches against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Baylor enters the match with a 14-3 overall record and 5-0 mark in the Big 12, while Texas Tech is 5-8 overall and 2-2 in Big 12 play.
The Jayhawks are led by junior Christine Skoda who was named Big 12 Player of the Week for the week of March 14-20. Skoda is 4-1 in Big 12 matches and 5-8 in the spring season of play. Skoda is scheduled to play No. 2 singles while freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva will play at No. 1. Avdeeva is 4-8 on the season and 2-3 in Big 12 play.
“We are hoping to keep up our momentum from the two matches in Oklahoma,” KU head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “We are playing two very tough teams and we will need to compete at a very high level.”
This weekend will mark the first action for the Jayhawks in two weeks as two scheduled matches against South Florida and Central Florida were cancelled due to inclement weather.
– Junior Christine Skoda was named Big 12 Player of the Week for the week of March 14-20. Skoda is 4-1 in Big 12 singles matches.
– The Jayhawks are 14-16 in Big 12 singles matches and 7-8 in doubles matches.
– KU is on a two-match winning streak after defeating Oklahoma and Oklahoma State by a score of 4-3 in both matches.
– Last season, KU lost to Texas Tech, 6-1 in the regular season, but defeated the Lady Raiders, 4-3, in the first round of the Big 12tournament. KU lost to Baylor, 7-0, last season in Lawrence.
– The Jayhawks are 16-13 in three-set or tiebreaker matches.
– Freshman Stephanie Smith leads the team in singles with a 9-11 record, while the team of Skoda and Filberth lead the team in doubles with a 5-4 record