Jayhawks Beat Sooners, 5-2
April 1, 2006
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
The No. 62 University of Kansas tennis team defeated Oklahoma, 5-2 on Saturday at Robinson Courts in Lawrence. The win, the squads fifth in a row, moves KU to 10-6 overall and 1-3 in league play.
“I am proud of the way the team played today,” head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “We came out very strong in doubles and were able to keep the momentum going throughout the match.”
The contest began with Kansas sweeping all three doubles matches from the Sooners. KU’s tandem of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina notched an 8-5 victory in the No. 1 spot, while Lauren Hommell and Edina Horvath earned an 8-6 win at the No. 2 spot. The No. 3 team of Christine Skoda and Stephanie Smith made short work of their opponent, with an 8-3 win.
The Jayhawks found four victories from singles play as Avdeeva, Skoda, Horvath and Smith each recorded wins. Avdeeva and Horvath extended their singles win streaks to eight and five, respectively.
The Jayhawks will take on Big 12 foe Iowa State on Sunday at 11 a.m. The match is schedule to be played at Robinson Courts, however, due to the threat of severe weather, the match could be moved to First Serve. Information will be given at kuathletics.com as soon as it becomes available.
1) Gabby Baker (OU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU) , 7-6(3), 7-5
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 7-6(2), 4-6, 6-2
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4) Christi Baxley (OU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Gabriela Nastasa (OU), 6-1, 6-3
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 8-5
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-6
3) Skoda/Smith (KU) def. Carter/Purice (OU), 8-3