Kansas Edged by No. 69 Texas Tech, 5-2
April 1, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LUBBOCK, Texas – The University of Kansas fell to 69th-ranked Texas Tech, 5-2, Sunday morning in Lubbock. The loss drops KU to 4-11 overall, including a 2-4 Big 12 record.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The Jayhawks got singles victories from junior Lauren Hommell in the No. 4 position and from sophomore Yuliana Svistun in the No. 5 spot. Hommell defeated TTU’s Kerryn Potgieter, 6-0, 6-3, for her first league win of the spring. The victory stopped a streak of four straight losses for the Roswell, Ga., native.
Svistun’s 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Maria Jose Andres was the Ufa, Russia, native’s eighth victory in her last 10 contests, and improved her spring record to a team-best 10-5.
In doubles play, KU’s top duo of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath, coming off a win over Baylor’s Cerna and Chmerlarova on Friday, lost its first league match of the season to the Lady Raiders’ Durham and Van der Drift, 8-7 (5). The setback dropped the tandem’s overall record to 12-4 this spring.
Avdeeva also competed well in the No. 1 singles position, but, for the second time in as many matches, fell in three sets, this time to Tech’s Van der Drift, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4.
KU will next be in action when it travels to Missouri on Saturday for the latest installment of the Border Showdown. The dual is set to begin at 1 p.m.
1) Samantha Van der Drift (TTU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
2) Lakann Wagley (TTU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Janet Durham (TTU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Kerryn Potgieter (TTU), 6-0, 6-3
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Maria Jose Andres (TTU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
6) Brenna Jackson (TTU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-4, 6-3
1) Durham/van der Drift (TTU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-7 (5)
2) Jackson/Wagley (TTU) def. Dorn/Svistun (KU), 8-4
3) Andres/Potgieter (TTU) def. Hommell/Smith (KU), 8-1