KU Tennis Defeated By Baylor, 6-1
April 2, 2005
Waco, Texas – The University of Kansas tennis team dropped a tough match to the No. 12 Baylor Bears on Saturday, 6-1, in Waco, Texas. The loss drops the Jayhawks record to 4-10 on the season and 3-3 in Big 12 play.
The highlight of the day for the Jayhawks came in the No. 1 singles match as freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva earned a straight-set victory over Baylor’s Carolin Walter, ranked 79 in the country, 6-2, 6-2. With the win, Avdeeva improves to 3-3 in Big 12 matches and 5-8 overall. In No. 2 singles, junior Christine Skoda was defeated by Daniela Covello, 6-2, 6-2. Skoda is now 4-2 in Big 12 play and 5-9 this spring.
Baylor swept the Jayhawks in all three doubles matches. In No. 1 doubles, KU’s team of sophomore Brittany Brown and freshman Lauren Hommell lost to Zuzana Cerna and Carolin Walter, 8-1.
The Jayhawks will next play Texas Tech tomorrow in Lubbock, Texas. The match is set to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. No. 79 Carolin Walter (BU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Daniela Covello (BU) def. Christine Skoda (KU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Brittany Brown (KU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Caroline Korsawe (BU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU) 6-0, 7-6 (7)
1. Cerna/Walter (BU) def. Brown/Hommell (KU) 8-1
2. Covello/Korsawe (BU) def. Skoda/Filberth (KU) 8-2
3. Krchnakova/Mihaylova (BU) def. Avdeeva/Luiza Louriero (KU) 8-5