Kansas Rips Past Iowa State, 6-1
April 2, 2006
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
The No. 62 University of Kansas tennis team defeated Iowa State, 6-1 on Sunday at First Serve in Lawrence. The win, the team’s sixth in a row, moves KU to 11-6 overall and 2-3 in league play.
“I was really pleased with how the girls bounced back,” head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. “We came out and responded very well after losing the doubles point and really showed a lot of toughness.”
Kansas began the contest by dropping two of the three doubles matches and the doubles point. Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina gave KU its lone doubles win at the No. 1 spot.
The Jayhawks came back strong in singles play, winning all six matches in two sets, giving them the 6-1 victory. Avdeeva and Edina Horvath extended their singles win streaks to nine and six, respectively.
The Jayhawks will take on Big 12 foe Nebraska on Wednesday, April 5 at 2 p.m. in Lincoln, Neb.
1) Ksenia Bukina (KU) def. Kara Hickey (ISU), 6-2, 6-2
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Danielle Uscinski (ISU), 6-3, 6-1
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Beth Chermel (ISU), 6-0, 6-3
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) Caitlin Loprinzi (ISU), 6-3, 6-2
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Chrissy Derouin (ISU), 7-5, 6-0
6) Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Eve Soriano (ISU), 6-2, 6-1
1) Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. Palen/Soriano (ISU), 8-3
2) Chermel/Hickey (ISU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 9-7
3) Derouin/Uscinski (ISU) def. Skoda/Smith (KU), 9-7