KU Tennis Falls To Texas Tech, 4-3
April 3, 2005
Lubbock, Texas – The University of Kansas tennis team was edged by the No. 75 Texas Tech Lady Raiders, 4-3, Sunday in Lubbock, Texas. The loss drops the Jayhawks to 4-11 on the season and 3-4 in Big 12 play.
The Jayhawks earned three victories in singles competition. In No. 1 singles action, freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva notched a three-set victory over Cigdem Duru, 7-5, 6-0, 7-6. With the win, Avdeeva improves to 4-3 in Big 12 matches and 6-8 overall. Junior Christine Skoda earned a straight-set victory over Janet Durham, 6-3, 6-0, to improve her record to 5-2 in Big 12 matches and 6-9 this spring. Freshman Stephanie Smith earned the Jayhawks final victory on the day with a 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (6) third-set tiebreaker victory over Katja Kovacic.
KU was swept in the three doubles matches. KU’s team of sophomore Brittany Brown and freshman Lauren Hommell lost to Tara Browning and Lekann Wagley, 8-5, at the No. 1 doubles position.
The Jayhawks will return home for a match against a Tulsa on Wednesday, April 6, at Robinson Courts in Lawrence, Kan. The match is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Cigdem Duru (TTU), 7-5, 6-0, 7-6
2. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Janet Durham (TTU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Tara Browning (TTU) def. Brittany Brown (KU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Erin Hunter (TTU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Lakann Wagley (TTU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU), 6-3, 6-0
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Katja Kovacic (TTU), 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (6)
1. Browning/Wagley (TTU) def. Hommell/Brown (KU), 8-5
2. Duru/Durham (TTU) def. Skoda/Filberth (KU), 8-4
3. Kovacic/Hunter (TTU) def. Loureiro/Avdeeva (KU), 8-4