Kansas Edged by Texas Tech, 4-3
April 6, 2008
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. — In yet another close dual, the University of Kansas team was edged by Texas Tech, 4-3, Sunday afternoon, dropping the Jayhawks to 7-10 overall, 3-4 in the Big 12. <?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
KU got off to a strong start by winning two of the three doubles matches to take the 1-0 lead. Senior Lauren Hommell and sophomore Kunigunda Dorn followed Saturday’s win in the No. 2 match against Baylor by turning in another impressive performance, this time an 8-6 victory over TTU’s Kerryn Potgieter and Brenna Jackson.
Also notching a victory for Kansas was its No. 3 tandem of freshmen Magdalena Tokarczyk and Maria Martinez, which topped the Lady Raiders’ pair of Simone Templeton and Kelsy Garland, 9-7.
However, the Jayhawks could not keep their momentum from doubles play and Texas Tech went on to take four of the six singles contests to secure the victory. With the score knotted at three and all singles matches completed except the No. 1 match, Tokarczyk rallied for a 6-1 win in the second set after dropping the first, but Tech’s Samantha van der Drift came back to win the third, sending the Raiders to their fourth conference win of the season.
After sitting out singles play against Baylor, Hommell continued her strong season in the No. 6 match, defeating TTU’s Leah Roberts, 6-4, 6-3. The Roswell, Ga., native is now 8-3 in singles play this spring and has won four straight.
Kansas’ other singles victory came from junior Yuliana Svistun in the No. 5 slot, where she handled Potgieter, 6-3, 6-2, for her sixth win of the dual season.
The Jayhawks will look to bounce back next weekend when they travel to Texas on April 11 and Texas A&M on April 13. The pair of duals will be KU’s last road contests of the regular season.
1) van der Drift/Durham (TTU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 9-8 (6)
2) Hommell/Dorn (KU) def. Potgieter/Jackson (TTU), 8-6
3) Tokarczyk/Martinez (KU) def. Templeton/Garland (TTU), 9-7
1) Samantha van der Drift (TTU) def. Magdalena Tokarczyk (KU), 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
2) Kelsy Garland (TTU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
3) Janet Durham (TTU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-2, 6-0
4) Simone Templeton (TTU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Kerryn Potgieter (TTU), 6-3, 6-2
6) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Leah Roberts (TTU), 6-4, 6-3