KU Tennis Defeated By Missouri, 5-2
April 9, 2005
Columbia, Mo. – The University of Kansas women’s tennis team fell to the No. 47 Missouri Tigers, 5-2 Saturday in the Border Showdown matchup in Columbia, Mo. The loss drops the Jayhawks record to 4-13 on the season and 3-5 in Big 12 play.
KU won two of six singles matches as junior Christine Skoda and freshman Stephanie Smith continued their strong play this spring. Skoda earned a straight-set victory over Missouri’s Hana Kraftova to move her record to 7-9 this spring and 6-2 in Big 12 matches at the No. 2 position. In No. 6 singles, Smith continued her three-match winning streak by notching a 6-4, 6-2 straight-set victory over Charlotte Bellis. Smith is now 5-3 in Big 12 matches.
In doubles action, KU lost the doubles point, but earned one victory as the duo of freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Brittany Brown defeated Yelena Olshanskaya and Erika Josbena, 8-5.
With the win, Missouri earns three Border Showdown points. KU currently leads the Border Showdown with 13.0 points to Missouri’s 12.0 points.
The Jayhawks will next head home for a match against Kansas State on Wednesday, April 13. The match will be held at Robinson Courts in Lawrence, Kan., and will begin at 2 p.m.
1. Sevcikova/Kramer def. Hommell/Skoda 8-2
2. Brown/Avdeeva def. Olshanskaya/Josbena 8-5
3. Bellis/Kraftova def. Filberth/Loureiro 8-1
1. Katka Sevcikova def. Elizaveta Avdeeva 6-0, 6-1
2. Christine Skoda def. Hana Kraftova 7-5, 7-5
3. Yelena Olshanskaya def. Brittany Brown 6-1, 6-3
4. Lubica Nadasska def. Lauren Hommell 6-1, 6-3
5. Erika Josbena def. Ashley Filberth 6-0, 6-2
6. Stephanie Smith def. Charlotte Bellis 6-4, 6-2