Jayhawks Fall to No. 8 Baylor
April 9, 2006
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The University of Kansas tennis team fell to eighth-ranked Baylor, 6-1, Sunday at Robinson Courts in Lawrence. The setback drops KU to 12-8 overall and 3-5 in the Big 12.
Sunday also marked the final home appearance for senior Christine Skoda. The Edmonton, Alberta native has been a rock in Kansas’ lineup throughout her career, twice garnering Big 12 Player of the Week honors, as well as being named the 2005 team MVP.
Baylor began the day by taking two of three doubles matches, but not easily, as the Jayhawks competed strong. KU’s tandem of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina fell 8-4 in the No. 1 slot, while Skoda and Yuliana Svistun could not stop a late charge by the Bears, dropping the match 8-6. Edina Horvath and Lauren Hommell notched the Jayhawks lone victory in doubles play, defeating BU’s Daniela Covello and Iva Mihaylova, 8-7 (3).
Horvath carried her solid play into the singles portion of the dual, as the freshman picked up KU’s only singles win, 6-3, 7-6 (4) over Mihaylova in the No. 5 position. She has now won nine singles matches in a row.
Bukina, playing against reigning NCAA singles champion Zuzana Zemenova, competed well, but dropped the match 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 1 slot.
KU will next be in action when it travels to Boulder on April 15 to take on Colorado. The contest will mark the first of three straight road conference matches for the Jayhawks as they close out the regular season.
1) Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), 6-4, 6-4
2) Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-2, 6-4
3) Daniela Covello (BU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 7-5, 7-5 (6)
4) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Iva Mihaylova (BU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
6) Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Yuliana Svistun (KU), 7-5, 6-2
1) Cerna/Zrustova (BU) def. Avdeeva/Bukina (KU), 8-4
2) Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Covello/Mihaylova (BU), 8-7 (3)
3) Zemenova/Krchnakova (BU) def. Skoda/Svistun (KU), 8-6