K-State Drops Jayhawks, 5-2
April 11, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>LAWRENCE, Kan. – The Kansas tennis team could not overcome an early deficit on Wednesday afternoon as it fell to Sunflower-showdown rival KansasState, 5-2. The loss, which was KU’s fifth straight, drops the team to 4-13, including a 2-6 Big 12 mark.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
The Jayhawks again struggled in doubles play to start the match, dropping two of the three contests to surrender the point. For just the second time in league play, KU’s No. 1 duo of junior Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Edina Horvath fell in its match, dropping its Big 12 record to 6-2.
KU did get a win, though, from junior Lauren Hommell and freshman Kunigunda Dorn in the No. 2 position, marking the first time any doubles tandem other than Avdeeva and Horvath has notched a victory since Dorn and junior Stephanie Smith won the No. 3 contest in Kansas’ 5-2 win over Nebraska on March 10.
Singles play opened with a strong performance from Dorn in the No. 3 match. After dropping the first set, 6-1, the Sopron, Hungary, native dominated the next two sets en route to a victory over KSU’s Tamar Kvaratshelia. However, the next two contests went to KansasState, as Avdeeva, along with Horvath, who was playing at the No. 2 spot for the first time in her career, could not come out on top.
The second wave of singles matches held form to the first three, as KSU won two of the remaining contests to secure the victory. Sophomore Yuliana Svistun continued her strong play for KU, as her win in the No. 5 slot over the Wildcats’ Olga Klimova improved her conference record to 6-2.
Kansas will look to get back on track on Sunday when it hosts Colorado. Play is set to begin at 11 a.m., and the day’s weather will determine the location of the dual.
1) Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-4, 6-3
2) Frenanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-2, 7-6 (6)
3) Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Tamar Kvaratshelia (KSU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
4) Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-1
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 3-0, injury def.
6) Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-4, 6-4
1) Yrureta/Da Valle (KSU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-4
2) Hommell/Dorn (KU) def. Klimova/Kudlackova (KSU), 8-6
3) Kvaratshelia/Vieira (KSU) def. Smith/Svistun (KU), 8-4