Avdeeva, Kansas Rally Past Colorado
April 15, 2006
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>BOULDER, Colo. – The University of Kansas tennis team won its first of three straight critical Big 12 Conference matches to close out its regular season, 4-3, over 50th ranked Colorado on Saturday in Boulder. The win improves the 67th ranked Jayhawks to 13-8 overall and 4-5 in league play.<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
With five of six singles matches completed and the Buffaloes, leading 3-2, on the verge of clinching the dual, Elizaveta Avdeeva rallied from a 5-3 deficit in the second set after dropping the first of the No. 2 singles match to earn KU a 3-3 split. Kansas then used the momentum to win 2 of 3 doubles matches, notching the point to clinch the 4-3 victory.
Avdeeva’s win was the sophomore’s 11th in her last 12 matches. Her opponent, Monica Milewski, was ranked 99th in the nation.
KU also got singles wins from senior Christine Skoda and sophomore Lauren Hommell, as well as doubles victories from the tandems of Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina and Skoda and Yuliana Svistun.
With the win, Kansas moves a half game ahead of Colorado, which fell to 4-6 in the league, in the Big 12 standings. The two teams entered the weekend in a battle for eighth place in the conference.
KU has two duals remaining in its regular season as it jockeys for position in the Big 12 Tournament as well as a possible NCAA Tournament bid. The task at hand will not come easily, however, as nationally-ranked Texas A&M and Texas await.
The Jayhawks will face the Aggies next Saturday in College Station and then the Longhorns on Sunday in Austin to conclude their regular season.
1) Jessica Vanderdys (CU) def. (107) Ksenia Bukina (KU) 6-2, 7-5
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. (99) Monica Milewski (CU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
3) Christine Skoda (KU) def. Ewa Losinski (CU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(2)
4) Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Veera Nurmi (CU) 6-3, 6-3
5) Franziska Jendrian (CU) def. Edina Horvath (KU) 7-5, 6-1
6) Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU) 7-6(4), 7-5
1) Bukina/Avdeeva (KU) def. Torres Torres/Vanderdys (CU) 9-8(4)
2) Jendrian/Milewski (CU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU) 9-7
3) Skoda/Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Losinski/Hanson (CU) 8-5