KU Tripped Up by No. 30 Colorado, 5-2
April 15, 2007
LAWRENCE, Kan. — The University of Kansas was defeated by 30th-ranked Colorado, 5-2, Sunday afternoon in Lawrence. With the loss, the Jayhawks’ record falls to 4-14 overall, 2-7 in the Big 12, while CU improved to 13-6, 6-2.
KU’s doubles woes continued as the Jayhawks fell in each of the three matchups to open the dual. Sunday marked just the fourth time this season that Kansas has been swept in doubles action.
Singles play had several highlights for KU, despite the fact that Colorado won four of the six matches. Sophomore Yuliana Svistun continued her domination of the No. 5 position, defeating Colorado’s Gleisy Torres Torres, 6-2, 6-2, to improve her record to 13-5 this spring, including a 7-2 league mark that has her near the top of the Big 12 standings. After opening the season 1-3, Svistun has been on a tear, winning 12 of her last 14 contests.
Also playing well for Kansas was sophomore Edina Horvath, who bounced back after her loss in the No. 1 doubles match to earn a straight-set victory over the Buffs’ Camila Belassi, 6-3, 6-3. The win, which came in the No. 2 position, marked just the second time in Horvath’s career that the Budapest, Hungary, native competed in the No. 2 slot, and was her first win playing that high in KU’s lineup.
Freshman Kunigudna Dorn battled back to win the second set after losing the first of her No. 3 match, however, Colorado’s Veera Nurmi took the third to secure the 6-2, 3-6, 6-1 victory.
Kansas will look to build some momentum heading into the postseason in its final two duals of the season, which are set to take place at Oklahoma on Wednesday and against Texas A&M in Lawrence next Sunday.
1) Monica Milewski (CU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Camila Belassi (CU), 6-3, 6-3
3) Veera Nurmi (CU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
4) Franziska Jendrian (CU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Gleisy Torres Torres (CU), 6-2, 6-2
6) Melisa Esposito (CU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-0, 2-0, inj. def.
1) Belassi/Torres Torres (CU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath (KU), 8-1
2) Milewski/Jendrian (CU) def. Hommell/Dorn (KU), 8-1
3) Esposito/Sedivec (CU) def. Smith/Svistun (KU), 8-3