Kansas Tennis Drops 6-1 to No. 59 Oklahoma State
April 16, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Freshman Victoria Khanevskaya won her third-consecutive singles match in Big 12 play, but it was not enough as the Kansas tennis team fell to No. 59 Oklahoma State 6-1.
Khanevskaya defeated OSU’s Alex Cristello 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 at the No. 6 singles position to improve her overall record to 10-9. No other Jayhawk has won three consecutive matches in Big 12 play.
“I have been practicing a lot on improving my game,” said Khanevskaya. “I wasn’t happy with my previous performances, so I have been working on my mental game and came out with a lot of energy today. I was very happy to get a win for my team.”
Sophomores Ekaterina Morozova and Erin Wilbert also recorded a win at the No. 1 doubles spot, defeating OSU’s Shatkovskaya and Buslaieva 8-6.
Match play proved to be closer than the score indicated, as four Jayhawks challenged their opponents to three sets in singles action. Morozova and freshman Sara Lazarevic rallied after losing the first set, and senior Kunigunda Dorn fell after a victorious first set.
The loss drops KU to 9-11 overall and 1-7 in Big 12 play, while the Cowgirls improve to 9-7 overall and 3-4 in Big 12 play.
The Jayhawks will look to bounce back against No. 43 Oklahoma at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility on Sunday, April 18 at 11 a.m. The event is free to the public.
No. 59 Oklahoma State 6, Kansas 1
- Morozova/Wilbert (KU) def. Shatkovskaya/Buslaieva (OSU), 8-6
- Belova/Meghoufel (OSU) def. Dorn/Lazarevic (KU), 8-4
- Rose/Cristello (OSU) def. Dzuba/Martinez (KU), 8-6
- Nataliya Shatkovskaya (OSU) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
- Sasha Belova (OSU) def. Sara Lazarevic, 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
- Alisa Buslaieva (OSU) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 6-0, 6-1
- Sarah Meghoufel (OSU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 7-6, 3-6, 8-10
- Malika Rose (OSU) def. Erin Wilbert (KU), 7-5, 6-4
- Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Alex Cristello (OSU), 3-6, 6-1, 7-5