Khanevskaya Rolls, but Kansas Tennis Falls to No. 43 Oklahoma, 5-2
April 18, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Freshman Victoria Khanevskaya recorded her fourth-consecutive win in Big 12 play, but the Kansas tennis team could not overcome an early deficit and fell to No. 43 Oklahoma 5-2 on Sunday.
Khanevskaya defeated Oklahoma’s Katelyn Connelly 6-4, 6-7(9), 11-9 at the No. 6 singles position, marking her fourth win in the last four matches.
Sophomore Erin Wilbert also recorded a win to defeat Oklahoma’s Tara Eckel in three sets at the No. 5 singles spot.
“I’ve played a lot of matches lately that could have gone either way,” said Wilbert. “I came out strong and got an early lead, but then got down and got discouraged. I came out with a lot of energy in the third set and was happy to come back and get the win.”
With the loss, KU falls to 9-12 overall and 1-8 in Big 12 play, while OU improves to 16-4 overall and 6-3 in Big 12 play.
The Jayhawks will return to the court next Friday, April 23 to host Texas Tech at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility. Match time is slated to begin at 2 p.m. and admission is free to the public.
No. 43 Oklahoma 5, Kansas 2
- No. 23 Constantinescu/Tsertsvadze (OU) def. Morozova/Wilbert (KU), 8-5
- Eckel/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Dorn/Lazarevic (KU), 8-2
- Connelly/Huet (OU) def. Martinez/Dzuba (KU), 8-0
- No. 88 Ana-Marie Constantinescu (OU) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KU), 6-2, 7-5
- Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 6-1, 6-3
- Teona Tsertsvadze (OU) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-3, 6-4
- Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
- Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Katelyn Connelly (OU), 6-4, 6-7(9), 11-9