Kansas Women's Golf to Compete in 2011 Big 12 Championship
April 19, 2011
LAWRENCE, Kan.—Freshman Meghan Potee and Thanuttra Boonraksasat lead Kansas women’s golf into the 2011 Big 12 Championship at the Old Hawthorne Golf Course in Columbia, Mo., April 22-24.
“Old Hawthorne sets up well for us, plus we are familiar with the course which is a definite advantage,” said Kansas head coach Erin O’Neil. “We have made some positive steps in strengthening our mental games the last few weeks and we need to continue to take advantage of the lessons learned from previous tournaments.”
Potee is coming off her best finish of the season after tying for 15th at the Baylor Spring Invitational while Boonraksasat carded a KU freshman record 68 in the final round of the event.
The two freshmen are joined in the Kansas lineup by seniors Grace Thiry and Meghna Bal and junior Katy Nugent.
KU finished 12th at last year’s Big 12 Championship in Norman, Okla. Current Jayhawks Bal, Thiry and Jennifer Clark finished tied for 30th, tied for 39th and tied for 55th respectively.
“I think we can have a strong finish if we can stay committed to our strategy,” said O’Neil. “We need to keep emotions in check, focus on the things we can control and literally take it one shot at a time.”
1. Meghan Potee (27, 78.14, t15th at Baylor Spring Invitational)
2. Thanuttra Boonraksasat (29, 75.86, t4th at Ole Miss Rebel Intercollegiate)
3. Grace Thiry (29, 76.34, 1st at Marilynn Smith Invitational)
4. Katy Nugent (29, 76.03, 2nd at Marilynn Smith Invitational)
5. Meghna Bal (29, 76.76, t3rd at Claud Jacobs Intercollegiate)