Jayhawks Drop Road Contest to Texas A&M
April 22, 2006
<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
COLLEGE STATION, <?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>Texas – The University of Kansas tennis team fell, 6-1, to 36th-ranked Texas A&M on Saturday in College Station. The setback drops KU, the nation’s 63rd ranked team, to 13-9 overall and 4-6 in the Big 12.
The Jayhawks only singles win on Saturday came in the No. 5 slot, where Edina Horvath defeated A&M’s Tiffany Clifford, 7-6 (2), 6-0. The victory was the freshman’s 10th in her last 11 matches, and improved her conference singles record to an impressive 7-3. Overall, Horvath boasts a 16-5 record in spring dual play.
In doubles action, Kansas notched a win in the No. 1 position, where its tandem of freshman Ksenia Bukina and sophomore Elizaveta Avdeeva topped the Aggies’ 28th-ranked team of Clifford and Sarah Foster in thrilling fashion, 9-8 (7).
Kansas’ regular season will come to a close on Sunday when the Jayhawks travel to Austin to take on the 19th-ranked University of Texas. The match is slated to begin at noon.
1. (#54) Anna Lubinsky (A&M) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Sarah Foster (A&M) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Anna Blagodarova (A&M) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Nicki Mechem (A&M) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Edina Horvath (KU) def. Tiffany Clifford (A&M), 7-6 (2), 6-0
6. Marisa Druss (A&M) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-0, 7-6 (2)
1. Avdeeva/Bukina (KU) def. (#28) Clifford/Foster (A&M), 9-8 (7)
2. (#40) Lubinsky/Mechem (A&M) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 9-7
3. Blagodarova/Druss (A&M) def. Skoda/Yuliana Svistun (KU), 8-4