Morozova Goes Undefeated, but Kansas Tennis Falls 6-1 to No. 70 Texas Tech
April 23, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. –
Sophomore Ekaterina Morozova won her singles and doubles matches, but it was not enough to power the Kansas tennis team past No. 70 Texas Tech on Friday at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility. The Red Raiders defeated the Jayhawks 6-1.
Morozova started the day successfully as she paired with sophomore Erin Wilbert at the No. 1 doubles position to defeat TTU’s Ullathorne and Dynka 8-6.
At No. 1 singles, Morozova continued her strong showing in her defeat of TTU’s Sandra Dynka in straight sets to give Kansas its only singles victory of the day.
“I think I played well today,” said Morozova. “I felt confident on the court and was ready to fight for every single ball. I was just ready to win and give everything I had.”
KU fell to 9-13 overall and 1-9 in Big 12 play, while Texas Tech improved to 10-10 overall and 5-5 in the Big 12.
The Jayhawks close out their regular season when they host No. 2 Baylor at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility on Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11 a.m.
No. 70 Texas Tech 6, Kansas 1
- Morozova/Wilbert (KU) def. Ullathorne/Dynka (TTU), 8-6
- Garland/Starck (TTU) def. Lazarevic/Dorn (KU), 8-2
- Peana/Aviles (TTU) def. Martinez/Dzuba (KU), 8-0
- Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Sandra Dynka (TTU), 7-5, 6-2
- Kelsy Garland (TTU) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 6-3, 6-2
- Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 6-1, 6-4
- Caroline Starck (TTU) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
- Lorena Aviles (TTU) def. Erin Wilbert (KU), 6-3. 4-6. 6-3
- Stefanie Peana (TTU) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU), 6-3, 1-6, 7-5