April 28, 2012
Blue 45, White 0
April 28, 2012
- Attendance: 15,000
- Sophomore RB Tony Pierson scored on an 88-yard touchdown run for the Blue Team in the third quarter. The Jayhawks’ longest play from scrimmage last season was a 68-yard reception by JaCorey Shepherd against Oklahoma State. The longest rush in 2011 was 56 yards by James Sims against Oklahoma.
- Pierson gained 141 yards on seven carries for an average of 20.1 yards per rush.
- Senior WR Daymond Patterson led all players with five receptions for the Blue Team after missing the 2011 season due to an injury.
- Senior WR Kale Pick had a game-high 82 receiving yards on four catches for an average of 20.5 yards per reception. Pick’s career high for receiving yards in a game is 55 against Northern Illinois last year.
- Sophomore RB Marquis Jackson scored three touchdowns on 10 carries for 76 yards. Jackson spent the 2011 season as a wide receiver and had four catches for 48 yards.
- QB Jake Heaps had the game’s only touchdown pass, a six-yard completion to senior WR D.J. Beshears. Heaps will sit out the 2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Senior QB Dayne Crist completed 11 of 19 passes for 156 yards.
- Senior CB Corrigan Powell had a game-high eight tackles for the White Team, including five solo stops. Powell only played in two games in 2011 and has 15 career tackles in three season with the Jayhawks.
- Sophomore LB Ben Heeney had a team-high seven tackles for the Blue squad, including five solo tackles. Heeney played on both defense and special teams as a true freshman in 2011. His season-high for tackles in a game was two against Kansas State. Heeney had eight tackles for the year.
- Senior S Lubbock Smith had five solo stops as part of a six-tackle performance for the Blue Team. Smith had 25 tackles – including 18 solo – in 2011, which was highlighted by a seven-tackle game against Oklahoma.
- Sophomore LB Michael Reynolds had five solo tackles, including three sacks. Last year, the Jayhawks only had eight sacks for the entire season.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Junior Ron Doherty punted the ball a total of nine times for 356 yards, and average of 39.6 yards per attempt.
- Doherty also made a 30-yard field goal for the first points of the game and made all six of his PATs.