KU's Nugent Wins KWGA Amateur
July 9, 2010
WICHITA, Kan. –
For the second straight year, Katy Nugent, a University of Kansas transfer, claimed medalist honors, while two other Jayhawks finished in the top eight at the Kansas Women’s Golf Association Amateur Championship Thursday.
The three-round tournament was played at the MacDonald Park Golf Course in Wichita this week.
Nugent, a Wichita native, who played at Arkansas the past two seasons before deciding to transfer to Kansas this spring, became the first repeat champion since Courtney Mahon won three straight from 2003-05.
Current Jayhawk Jennifer Clark captured the event in 2008. Clark finished sixth this year, while KU teammate Audrey Yowell placed eighth.
Nugent held the first round lead after opening the event with a 74. She fell two strokes off the pace after a second-round 76, but charged back for the victory with a final-day 72. Her 222 total was three shots better than Wichita State golfer Hannah Martin, who carded a 225.
Nugent closed the day in style, holing a 60-foot birdie putt on the final hole to hold off the rest of the field. Clark, a senior-to-be for the Jayhawks improved her score each day. She closed with a final-round 75 and a 230 total. Yowell, who played as a freshman at KU in 2010, opened with a 76 and finished with a 233 total.
KWGA Amateur Results
1. Katy Nugent, Wichita (KU) 74-76-72—222
2. Gianna Misenhelter, Overland Park (KSU) 76-77-72–225
3. Hannah Martin, Salina (WSU) 77-74—74–225
4. Adin Stromgren, Topeka (WSU) 77-75-74–226
5. Emily Houtz, Manhattan (KSU) 78-70-79–227
6. Jennifer Clark, Kansas City (KU) 78-77-75—230
7. Krista Krdlicka, Wichita 81-74-76—231
8. Audrey Yowell, McPherson (KU) 76-77-80—233